Brug dette forum til forslag og ris/ros til Flatpanels og forummet.

Redaktører: AndreasL, Moderatorer

Hi all,

The Sony web page says that the SDM-HX95B / SDM-HX95S monitor uses a MVA panel (i'm wondering from what manufacturer - Fujistu? AUO? other?).
But in the other hand, the list on this page says that it uses a Samsung PVA panel.
Somebody knows what panel this monitor really uses?

Thanks.
Brugeravatar
Af Rasmus Larsen
Welcome to the forums cobain.

The first reports I received on the monitor indicated that it was a Samsung based PVA panel. This, however, does not seem to be the correct - I understand your doubt - and instead it seems to be a P-MVA panel. I'm not completely sure but it's most likely a Fujitsu MVA.

I'll update the database right away.
Af cobain
Hi again.

Yesterday I bought a Sony HX95.

Comparing it with my Samsung 173P (8 bit PVA panel) I realized how bad the Sony HX95 image quality is.

Dark grey instead black, yellowish white, saturated red, excessive bright... And fixed green value even connecting it through the analog port. Terrible.

But that's not all. This model suffers from a strong backlighting problem and it's viewing angles are very narrow.

All this is sospicous because VA technology benefits from good color reproduction and wide vewing angles, but when compared with the Samsung 173P the Sony HX5 fails miserably on both aspects.

I definitively think this Sony model don't mount any VA panel (PVA, MVA, or whatever). Instead it uses a TN panel - no matter what the Sony web page says.

I can't recommend this monitor to anyone. I returned it and decided to buy a Samsung 193P.
Brugeravatar
Af Rasmus Larsen
You can easily check if it's a TN panel. Place the monitor on a table and look at it from below. If you see reproduction of complementarily colours and contrast it's a TN panel. If not, it's something else.

But keep in mind that there are a lot of bad MVA panels, too. The panel is not everything and especially the calibration from the factory is important.
Af cobain
I looked at the Sony's screen from below, but I don't remember how the colors were exactly.
In any case they lost a lot of fidelity, while the Samsung looked much, much better looking at it from the same angle.
I can be wrong, but the HX95 still seems a TN monitor to me.

P.S.: Excuse my bad english
Af cobain
Yes, looking at it from below, the Sony HX95's colors looked very similar to this two monitors.
This picture illustrates very accurately the Sony's problem: http://www.flatpanels.dk/billeder/204b-vinkel5.jpg

Even considering that the color quality and viewing angles can vary from one VA panel type and manufacturer to other, there was too much difference between the 173P and the HX95 to think that the Sony uses a VA panel.

If the Sony uses any kind of VA panel, it must be the worse panel of this type ever produced, that's for sure!