Brug dette forum til forslag og ris/ros til Flatpanels og forummet.

Redaktører: AndreasL, Moderatorer

There are some rumours around that this monitor is the 20WGX2 AS-IPS panel variant. Essentially, AS-IPS panel without the Advanced DV and 6ms overdrive.

230W5BS does look like typical S-IPS panel. However, 230WP7NS does have slight increase in viewing angles (possible indication) and specs are really familiar. Brigthness is lower, which may indicate that CCFL is not improved. 20WGX2 has new generation of CCFL backlight with increased brightness and slightly improved colour gamut. On the other hand 12ms responsive time is probably not so typical for S-IPS.

Any official, unofficial or "inside" info ? ;)
Af xtknight
I think the AS-IPS term was reserved for the specially-designed NEC 20GX2 panels. There is however enhanced S-IPS (which is the same as TW-IPS (true wide IPS)) where the viewing angles were made even higher. Here's some details on that:

http://www.cleverdis.com/publications/s ... 05_art.htm

There's a pdf on the right column. I think the A-TW-IPS used in one of the expensive NECs is the same as TW-IPS. It's hard to keep up with all this stuff. We have DD-TN, DD-IPS, ACE, ASV, VA, MVA, P-MVA, S-MVA, PVA, S-PVA, A-MVA, IPS, TN, S-IPS, AS-IPS, Enhanced S-IPS, TW-IPS, A-TW-IPS. God have mercy. ;;)
Af Simon Baker
The Philips 230WP7NS is likely to be an extension of IPS in some way, but referring to it as "AS-IPS" might be a little misleading. As xtknight has said, the AS-IPS terminology seems to have been adopted by NEC, and has caused a bit of hysteria across the net imo with people eager to see the new AS-IPS panels, assuming they will all be just as good as the NEC. I think you need to be careful about assuming a particular technology is always going to be excellent tbh, if this Philips was indeed labelled as AS-IPS, i think people might well be let down judging by the spec there. Being AS-IPS does not necessarily mean it will be as good as the NEC is :)

It certainly looks like it's an S-IPS panel though, as is the 230W5BS (LG.Philips LM230W02) but like xt says, it could be using one of LG.Philips new enhanced S-IPS panels. At the end of the day, there's a lot of terminology and naming which may or may not make much difference in real use, just be wary of the way manufacturers move from one generation to another. There's a fair bit of marketing going on too :)
Af DVL73
xtknight skrev:I think the AS-IPS term was reserved for the specially-designed NEC 20GX2 panels.
That's what I thought ... actually this was also confirmed by NEC, that this panel was custom built for them.
xtknight skrev:There is however enhanced S-IPS (which is the same as TW-IPS (true wide IPS)) where the viewing angles were made even higher. Here's some details on that:

http://www.cleverdis.com/publications/s ... 05_art.htm
Ah, that document ;) I read this document long ago, even before 20WGX2 was out, and this was the major reason why I was eagerly awating the next gen S-IPS panels and chance that they come back with the style. :) Although, this document is touching the LCD TV sector, it would be no surprise that NEC adapted the 20" panel version for the monitor usage.
Af DVL73
Simon Baker skrev:As xtknight has said, the AS-IPS terminology seems to have been adopted by NEC, and has caused a bit of hysteria across the net imo with people eager to see the new AS-IPS panels, assuming they will all be just as good as the NEC.
Yeah ... tell me about that hysteria :) I tried several times to explain to people around that usually it's not just the panel that matters. Manufacturing R&D is usually completely different and as the direct consequence you have again different circuitry between the monitors of the same panel type. Essentially, panel type is just the device and manufactures are adding their own D/A converters, electronics, chips, back light, add-on values ... etc. Yes, according to the panel type you may expect some features in advance, but that's not complete story.

Simon Baker skrev:I think you need to be careful about assuming a particular technology is always going to be excellent tbh, if this Philips was indeed labelled as AS-IPS, i think people might well be let down judging by the spec there.
Oh yes, definitely. It's not me that I'm worried about ... but for the users around ;) When I stated "rumours" in the initial post, I was actually thinking about the forums posts I've seen around lately, from other users and even from some users with the respectable knowledge about such matters.
Af Simon Baker
thought you might be interested in this, there's a review of the 230WP7NS at Tom's hardware Guide here:

http://tomshardware.co.uk/2006/07/03/wi ... age10.html

colour accuracy graph:

Billede

latency
Billede

As you can see, certasinly doesn't offer the kind of responsiveness as the NEC LCD20WGX2, in fact looks like no use of ODC (overdrive) from Philips on this one. Black depth is also somewhat lacking according to Benoit. Just a typical S-IPS really....
Brugeravatar
Af Torben Rasmussen
I think you are giving the Philips too little credit. According to the test the Philips monitor actually comes out on top i regards to color rendering - it loses in responsiveness however.
Af Simon Baker
yakken skrev:I think you are giving the Philips too little credit. According to the test the Philips monitor actually comes out on top i regards to color rendering - it loses in responsiveness however.
ah no, i only meant from a responsiveness and black depth point of view. THG still say it's a good monitor. However, it doesnt compete with the speed of the NEC, and black depth isn't as good, only really because of the lack of DFC