Brug dette forum til forslag og ris/ros til Flatpanels og forummet.

Redaktører: AndreasL, Moderatorer

Just a quick question, hopefully someone can confirm this. If a TFT doesnt have 1:1 pixel mapping or aspect retention, is there any way through software to make a 4:3 game avoid being stretched? I know Nvidia graphics software has this option in it, but from what i've heard, users who tried to use it on their Viewsonic VX2025WM still ended up with the game being stretched to fill the screen, since the TFT had no 1:1 mapping, and the software made no difference
Simon Baker skrev:Just a quick question, hopefully someone can confirm this. If a TFT doesnt have 1:1 pixel mapping or aspect retention, is there any way through software to make a 4:3 game avoid being stretched? I know Nvidia graphics software has this option in it, but from what i've heard, users who tried to use it on their Viewsonic VX2025WM still ended up with the game being stretched to fill the screen, since the TFT had no 1:1 mapping, and the software made no difference
I'm not sure Simon. I guess that as soon as the monitor receive the "non native" resolution signal it will behave as hard coded in the panel control circuit. Only if somehow video card can trick the monitor (with the help of the driver feature or additional software) you *may* possibly have some results ... but I guess that this is simply hit & miss and probably unreliable solution.

For now, best option is that monitor supports (natively) 1:1 pixel mapping, scale the resolution but keep the aspect ratio or scale the resolution completely. Also, resolution scaling quality is not equivalent on all monitors. Some will do this better then others and vice versa (if we observe the scaled picture quality).

Anyhow, if I discover something interesting ... you will find it here ;)
Brugeravatar
Af Torben Rasmussen
The easiest way to avoid this isssue seems to be tweaking the game itself into supporting widescreen. In www.widescreengamingforum.com you can find patches that enables widescreen support for various games that does not support these resolutions natively.
Brugeravatar
Af Rasmus Larsen
If a TFT doesnt have 1:1 pixel mapping or aspect retention, is there any way through software to make a 4:3 game avoid being stretched?
I haven't foudn such software yet. But I agree that the best method is to try to patch the game with a widescreen resolution or choosing a monitor with a 1:1 mapping feature.
Af Simon Baker
Rasmus Larsen skrev:
If a TFT doesnt have 1:1 pixel mapping or aspect retention, is there any way through software to make a 4:3 game avoid being stretched?
I haven't foudn such software yet. But I agree that the best method is to try to patch the game with a widescreen resolution or choosing a monitor with a 1:1 mapping feature.
that was certainly what i udnerstood about it, just wanted to check if anyone had any experience with software fixes other than game 'hacks'. Thanks guys :)
Af DVL73
yakken skrev:The easiest way to avoid this isssue seems to be tweaking the game itself into supporting widescreen. In www.widescreengamingforum.com you can find patches that enables widescreen support for various games that does not support these resolutions natively.
Yeah, good point. However, I think that Simon asked this because for some people is generally problematic to run the games in native WS resolutions, as GPU limitation is taking place. This is the reason why people would like to run some specific games in the lower resolutions, unaltered by monitor resolution scaling - as usually this is downgrading the picture quality on some screens.
Af Simon Baker
well someone has confirmed that software methods DO work on some WS TFT's.

The LG L203WT doesnt have 1:1 pixel mapping in the OSD, but you can use NVidia driver software to play games without stretching:

[img]http://f10.putfile.com/7/18315194024.jpg[/img]

would be interesting to see if this can be done with other monitors too
Brugeravatar
Af Rasmus Larsen
I don't have a Nvidia card right now but I'm planning on buying one in a couple of months. I can comment on the 1:1 pixel mapping through the driver software with widescreen monitors in the future if you like?

Where did you find that picture from the L203WT?
Af Simon Baker
Hi Rasmus

I've got an NVidia card and have been meaning to check it's use with the 2405FPW rather than using the OSD monitor scaling. That picture was from someone who had posted on OcUK forums. Since then a lot of people have said their monitors work with software scaling, even when 1:1 pixel mapping is not available from the monitor itself. This includes models like the Viewsonic VA1912 and VA2012W apparently
Af Simon Baker
more monitors which are ok. It seemed that the Viewsonic VX2025WM would not support it at all, but these pictures show otherwise:

[img]http://img281.imageshack.us/img281/8531/vx2025018ys.jpg[/img]
Oblivion set at 1280 x 1024, and the Nvidia control panel set to 'Fixed Aspect Ratio Scaling'.

[img]http://img281.imageshack.us/img281/5118/vx2025028ae.jpg[/img]
The second picture, user set the resolution of Oblivion to 1024 x 768 and the Nvidia control panel to 'Centred Output'

it seems most screens support this through software in fact, so perhaps monitor supported 1:1 pixel mapping is not that important. Some users have even said the software based scaling is more user friendly than the hardware based scalling through the OSD